Daily Court Reporter - News Department of Insurance saved Ohioans $30.4 million in 2017
Department of Insurance saved Ohioans $30.4 million in 2017
The Ohio Department of Insurance helped more than 436,000 Ohio insurance consumers save or recover $30.4 million in 2017 through its toll-free hotlines, community outreach and counseling, Director Jillian Froment announced.
“One of the most important and fulfilling responsibilities we have is to help consumers understand their policies and to make sure their claims are paid in full per their policy,” Froment said. “Consumers should reach out and contact us anytime they have questions or concerns about their insurance coverage."
Froment also said the department received 5,874 complaints from consumers related to insurance. Claim denial was the leading complaint reason while health insurance was the top coverage type complaint.
The following information lists Ohio consumer complaints and national data collected by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
Top Types of Complaint Reasons
1. Claim Handling: Claim Denial – 16.6%
2. Claim Handling: Payment Delay – 11.8%
3. Claim Handling: Unsatisfactory Offer – 6.8%
4. Policyholder Service: Premium Notice Billing – 4%
5. Claim Handling: Adjuster Handling – 3.4%
1. Claim Handling: Delays – 17.6%
2. Claim Handling: Denial of Claim – 15.5%
3. Claim Handling: Unsatisfactory Settlement Offer – 12.8%
4. Policyholder Service: Coverage Question – 4.6%
5. Underwriting: Cancellation – 4.5%
Top Types of Complaints By Coverage
1. Accident and Health – 42.8%
2. Personal Auto – 26.2%
3. Life and Annuity – 12.3%
4. Homeowners and Renters – 11.3%
5. Other Coverage – 7.4%
1. Accident and Health – 41%
2. Personal Auto – 33%
3. Homeowners and Renters – 15.8%
4. Life and Annuity – 7.4%
5. Miscellaneous – 1.9%
The Ohio Department of Insurance is one of the largest consumer protection agencies in the state. Consumers can contact the department to file a complaint against their insurance company or with insurance questions at 1-800-686-1526. Medicare inquiries can be made to 1-800-686-1578. Information is available at www.insurance.ohio.gov.
About the Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI)
The mission of the Ohio Department of Insurance is to provide consumer protection through education and fair but vigilant regulation while promoting a stable and competitive environment for insurers.
Date Published: February 22, 2018